Missing hikers body found 2 months after disappearance with surviving dog at his side

A hiker has been found dead two months after going missing with his dog still alive by his side.
On 19 August, 2023, Rich Moore and his Jack Russell terrier, Finney, set off with plans to reach the summit of Blackhead Peak, just east of Pagosa Springs.

The 71-year-old and his 14-year-old furry companion weren't heard from again, until sadly, on 30 October, Moore's body was discovered by a rescue team, Finney located still alive, by his owner's side.

When it was first realised Moore and Finney were missing, search and rescue teams spent over 2,000 hours searching for the man and his dog, but they were unable to locate Moore, only finding his car, reports state.

Two months later and Moore was finally discovered in the Lower Blanco drainage basin the day before Halloween by a hunter - Finney having survived all that time in the wilderness, remaining with his owner, the Denver Gazette reports.

Search and rescue teams were dropped into the forest to identify and recover Moore's body and his loyal Jack Russell was immediately transported to a vet.
In a post to Facebook, Taos Search and Rescue updated followers on their search, noting TSAR member Delinda Vanne-Brightyn 'along with her certified K9 AkioYodasan responded to the initial search'.

Delinda writes: "We searched from just under the peak-top and directly West, searching down the mountain toward where his car was located. Winds were directly from the West/Soutwest. It was so steep, we were inserted in by a helicopter. He was found 2.5 miles East of the mountain-top beneath where we were inserted."

People have flooded to the post to offer their condolences and show their support for Moore's loyal canine companion. One user said: "Oh my goodness…his sweet dog stayed with him for over two months? Sending prayers for his family. Thank you for your work in locating him and giving this family some closure."

"Amazing that the dog stayed with him. They are truly man's best friend," another added.

According to the Denver Gazette, Moore's official cause of death has not yet been released, but no foul play is suspected.

The post concludes: "Delinda and TSAR would like to send our condolences to the family, but are glad they were able to gain some closure as well as bring their dog back home."

Please don't forget to SHARE this with your friends and family.

Click here for Comments

0 commentaires :