Uvalde shooting survivor throws out first pitch at Houston Astros game. She spent 66 days in hospital.

Following the tragic school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, 10-year-old Mayah Zamora was seriously hurt and spent 66 days in the hospital. Three months after the shooting, on Tuesday, she threw the ceremonial first pitch at the Houston Astros game.
At the game, she was honored as the August Hero of the Month, reports TODAY. She also met two-time All-Star Carlos Correa, a former Astros shortstop, during his first game in Houston since he was traded to the Minnesota Twins.

In the days and weeks following the classroom massacre, she learned that 19 of her classmates and two of her teachers had been killed in the gunfire. But for the 10-year-old, learning that the alleged shooter, Salvador Ramos, lived close to her house made it far too difficult for the child to return home after being discharged from University Health in San Antonio.

During the game, the Correa Family Foundation and other donors told Zamora and her family that they would be financing the construction of a new home for the family. "We were proud to announce yesterday that thanks to the generosity of numerous donors, we have secured the funding to build Mayah and her family a new home in a location where she feels safe and comfortable," the Correa Family Foundation said in a statement. "We hope this will be an opportunity for Mayah and her family to rebuild their lives, make new memories, and look towards a bright future."

Puerto Rican singer Bad Bunny and his Good Bunny Foundation and TokenSociety.io co-founders James and Korrine Whipkey, Scott H. Weissman and Allen P. Lu also provided support to the cause.

"It’s an important day for me, but I wanted to make it extra special for her," Correa told MLB.com. "After everything she went through, the battle she went through, and now she’s here with us," adding that they want to "celebrate life and celebrate her life. She’s here with us and we’re here to support her all the way through. It’s not just by helping with the house, but helping with whatever they need."

“I’m looking forward to meeting her today,” Correa said pregame. “I know she’s going to throw out the first pitch. She’s very excited. She’s been practicing with Ricky. He’s been sending me videos, practicing the first pitch with her. I know she’s really excited to be out there in front of the fans and throw the first pitch.”

After suffering gunshot wounds to her chest, back, hands and arms, Zamora underwent more than 20 surgeries while recovering in the hospital. She was the final shooting survivor to be discharged from the hospital in July. A video shared by University Hospital in San Antonio shows Zamora giving roses to staff members as she was getting discharged from the hospital, all while the staff cheered and called her name.

The hospital, too, released a statement of delight after the child got discharged. “Today was a happy day at University Hospital!” read a tweet from University Health, a hospital in San Antonio, Texas. “Our final patient from the Uvalde shooting, 10-year-old Mayah Zamora, was discharged!” The hospital wrote, “She is our hero, and we can’t wait to see all she accomplishes in the future!"

Three months after the shooting, Uvalde school district Police Chief Pete Arredondo was fired on Wednesday night. There was public outrage against the law enforcement response to the shooting. It reportedly took police more than an hour to find and stop the shooter after the first officers entered the school.

Please don't forget to SHARE this with your friends and family.

Click here for Comments

0 commentaires :