3 Killed, 8 Injured In Shooting At Michigan High School After Student Opened Fire

Three students were killed and eight injured after a 15-year-old opened fire on Tuesday afternoon at a high school in Oxford, Michigan, CNN reports.

The victims who died in the shooting have been identified as Tate Myre, 16; Hana St. Juliana, 14, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17, according to Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard.

A further eight - including seven students and a teacher - were shot but have survived the attack.

Three of the eight injured victims are in critical condition including a 14-year-old girl who underwent surgery and is now on a ventilator.

A 14-year-old boy is also in critical condition after sustaining a gunshot wound to the jaw and head. Three students are in stable condition and the teacher who was shot has been released from the hospital.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said of the carnage: "I think this is every parent's worst nightmare."

She added that shootings at schools are "a uniquely American problem that we need to address. My heart goes out to the families. This is an unimaginable tragedy."

Whitmer said: "I hope we can all rise to the occasion and wrap our arms around the families, the affected children and school personnel, and this community."

There were a number of others who suffered non-life-threatening injuries as they rushed out of the school. Most received treatment for their injuries and were released at an assembly point.

The 15-year-old suspect, who has not been named, was a sophomore at the school. He was taken into custody just a couple of minutes after police responded to the attack.

The boy's parents have hired a lawyer and advised him not to talk to law enforcement without legal representation.

He is being detained at Oakland County Children's Village, a juvenile detention facility. The suspect is currently on suicide watch and is being monitored every 15 minutes.

At a press conference about the shooting, Bouchard shared some more details about the deadly incident.

He revealed that the semiautomatic handgun used in the attack was purchased by the suspect's father on Friday.

Police arrived at the scene some minutes after they received emergency calls about the shooting.

Bouchard said: "As they were coming down the hall, they saw him. He put his hands up, they took a gun and they took him into custody."

It is believed that the teenage suspect acted alone in the attack.

Please don't forget to SHARE this with your friends and family.

Click here for Comments

0 commentaires :