Kyle Rittenhouse's Lawyer Says He's Received So Many Death Threats He's No Longer Using His Cellphone



On Friday, a jury of the Kenosha District Court in Wisconsin acquitted 18-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse on all charges, including murder, in connection with the shooting that took place during the Kenosha riots last year. The defense insisted Rittenhouse acted in self-defense as he was attacked by the protesters.
Credit: REUTERS
Mark Richards, Kyle Rittenhouse's criminal defense attorney, told Insider that he has received so many death threats that he was no longer using his own cellphone.

Richards led Rittenhouse's defense team in the high-profile trial, which saw a jury deliver a not guilty verdict to the 18-year-old after he shot and killed two people and injured another last year.

Richards said that he "can't count" the number of death threats he's received recently. "It's too high," he told Insider.
Credit: REUTERS
The attorney has since resorted to using his wife's phone, but added that her number has also been targeted by people making death threats.

"I would love for things to change, for people to talk to one another without fighting, but, unfortunately, I don't see it changing it any time soon," he told the outlet.

On Friday, November 19, a 12-person jury consisting of seven women and five men found the teen not guilty on all counts after three days of deliberation.

Rittenhouse, of Antioch, Illinois, shot and killed Joseph Rosenbaum and Anthony Huber, and injured Gaige Grosskreutz on August 25, 2020, with an AR-15 rifle, during protests which took place in Kenosha, Wisconsin, after the police shooting of Jacob Blake.
The teenager, who was 17 at the time of the shooting, had been charged with five felonies; first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree reckless homicide, attempted first-degree intentional homicide, and two counts of first-degree recklessly endangering safety.

Per BBC News, Rittenhouse had denied all the charges and maintained he acted in self-defense.

His homicide trial started on November 1 and had seen testimonies from dozens of witnesses and footage taken of the night the then-17-year-old opened fire.
Credit: REUTERS / Alamy
Jurors were even played a graphic video of Rosenbaum lying still, unable to breathe after he was shot four times.

Rittenhouse's defense argued that the then-17-year-old had feared for his life last August.

Richards spoke with CNN in an interview on November 19, after his client was found not guilty on all charges in his homicide trial.
Credit: REUTERS / Alamy
CNN's Chris Cuomo asked Richards if Rittenhouse "thinks he did anything wrong," to which the lawyer responded: "Kyle said: 'If I had to do it all over again and I had any idea something like this would happen. I wouldn't do it.'"

He added: "I want to be clear that is not regret for what he did that night under those circumstances.

"Hindsight is always 20/20, if not better, and he didn't want to kill anybody and he was left with a terrible choice and he exercised that choice, which was found to be lawful."




Please don't forget to SHARE this with your friends and family.


Click here for Comments

0 commentaires :