Before there were girl groups like Fifth Harmony and The Pussycat Dolls, people were rocking out to Destiny’s Child and TLC. But the one girl group that was basically the definition of ‘girl power’ was the Spice Girls. The English pop girl group included:
- Baby Spice
- Ginger Spice
- Sporty Spice
- Scary Spice
- Posh Spice
They formed in 1994 and gained worldwide success thanks to their hit song ‘Wannabe.’ Their debut album ‘Spice’ sold over 31 million copies!
They followed up their debut album with ‘Spiceworld’ which ended up selling over 20 million copies worldwide. Since then they have sold over 80 million copies which makes them the best-selling female female group of all time!
The group has been making music since the 90s and it appears they are back at it once again. If you haven’t been up-to-date with all of the latest news in the Spice World, don’t worry we got your back. Here is what the girls are up to now.
1) Baby Spice - Emma Bunton was the youngest member in the group which was why she was the ‘baby’ of the group. Bunton eventually pursued a solo career and in 2001 she released her debut solo album, ‘A Girl Like Me’. She released a second album in 2004 and a third in 2006. In 2007 she reunited with the other girls for an international tour and greatest hits album.
In 2011, she was engaged to ‘Damage’ singer Jade Jones. The couple are currently raising two children, Beau Lee Jones and Tate Lee Jones.
2) Ginger Spice - Geri Halliwell left the group in 1998 and decided to do her own thing the next year. She also decided to go solo and dropped a few albums following the breakup of the girl group. She achieved a ton of success and was nominated for four Brit Awards in the early 2000s.
As for her personal life, Halliwell gave birth to her daughter Bluebell Madonna in 2006. The godmothers of the young girl? Victoria Beckham and Emma Bunton a.k.a Posh and Baby Spice!
3) Sporty Spice - Just like the others, Melanie Chisholm also decided to go solo post-breakup. She got her start when she collaborated with Canadian singer Bryan Adams on the cong ‘When You’re Gone’. She eventually left her record company and found her own where she produced some original albums.
And considering that she was labelled as ‘Sporty Spice’ it’s no surprise to hear that the singer is also an amateur triathlete and has finished the London Triathlon twice!
4) Scary Spice - Melanie Janine Brown also collaborated with a pretty big artist to start off her solo career. She worked with Missy Elliot on ‘I Want You Back’. However, Mel B also did some non-singing projects after the break up. She was a presenter of a variety of shows and was also a contestant on the fifth season of ‘Dancing With The Stars.’
From 2011 - 2012, Brown was a guest judge during the Manchester auditions of ‘The X Factor UK’ and later joined the television series in 2014.
5) Posh Spice - Victoria Beckham has probably had the most success after the Spice Girls. She was been a part of five documentaries revolving around her and her family’s lives.
In 1997 she began dating star soccer player David Beckham and got engaged in 1998. They wed on July 4th, 1999 and are considered one of the biggest power couples in the world! The two are currently raising three sons and one daughter.
The girls reunited during the 2012 London Olympics and it appears that they will be planning another reunion sometime next year. Unfortunately it appears that just three of the five girls will be joining the tour. Baby, Scary, and Ginger Spice are currently on board and are hoping to convince Sporty and Posh Spice to commit.